Thursday, February 13, 2020

Adult Conversation ARC

About I believe a week ago I signed up for NetGalley. I was excited and nervous about reading ARCs. What if my reviews weren't good enough? What if I didn't like the book that I was allowed to read? What if life got in the way and I couldn't read the book in time? Well with all these questions, I had to put them in the back of my head and just go for it.

The first ARC that I've read from my shelf is Adult Conversation by Brandy Ferner. I read the description and thought hell. yes.

April, a mother of two, who's sarcastic and cares a whole lot about her kids. She's struggling with the fact that modern motherhood has become this impossible task that we all signed up for but had no idea of the consequences. At her breaking point, she signs up to see a therapist who helps her find a way to pursue her passion but also be the mother she wants for her children. Soon she finds herself friends with her therapist, driving off the Las Vegas for the night, and desperately wanting to see her family again.

It's scary how much I was connecting with April. I'm a stay at home mom of 2 and sometimes it feels like everyone is crying all at once including myself. Everyone is so sweet in saying things about your kids and how you handle things at home, but in reality is all part of this psycho circus juggling act that I continue to fail at but have to keep going no matter what. The feelings of being overworked and overlooked are not far from what I feel on pretty much a daily basis. As a stay at home mom it's so easy to lose who you are as a person and just in mom mode the entire time.

So as I've read in some of the other reviews that the Las Vegas part of the story kind of lost them, I totally get it. As a mom who gets to leave the house maybe once or twice in a month, finding a good friend and them needing help seems like a good reason to escape for a little bit. Plus sometimes you need to see your life from the other side, that's why I believe the author includes this part, among other reasons.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book. It hit home for me and not many books can do that. It put all of what I've been feeling of motherhood into words and that was actually really helpful and nice to see that I'm not the only one struggling.

Thank you to NetGalley and She Writes Press for allowing me the opportunity of reading Adult Conversation, and thank you to Brandy Ferner for a truly wonderful book and experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment