Thursday, February 13, 2020

These Shallow Graves

During the weekend of January 25th, my mom and I went to a Friends of the Library book sale and a thrift store that I have found is my secret treasure trove of books. The book sale didn't wield as many good finds as the thrift store that's for sure. At the thrift store hardbacks are priced for $1 and paperbacks are a quarter! With those prices I mean how could anyone pass on those?

So in my finds at the thrift store I found a few books that I've never heard of and bought completely based on the cover. I know, I know, but I mean some covers just have a way of bringing you in and it's like they're just asking to be bought. One of those books was These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly. I knew nothing about the book, never heard of the author, I went into the novel completely blind. Sometimes that's the best way to do though, right?


Jo is a beautiful and rich young woman who, like all the other girls in her class, are to finish school and be married to a wealthy bachelor. Except that's not really wants she wants for her life, she want to become a writer. Out of nowhere while she's at school, her father dies. She returns home with doubts on how her father died and she is determined to find out the truth. With the help of a handsome young reporter, and some unlikely characters Jo chases of clues around New York in 1890, she finds out the truth about her father, and realizes how much she has to lose.

Normally I'm not a historical fiction reader, but this book made it so easy to enjoy. While I was reading it was like watching a movie. The author had a way of describing everything that made it clear to me, the reader, to see everything as if it was right in front of me.

The characters were so well described that I could imagine each one of them like they were friends of mine. They each had there fit in the right places and helped build the story really well. Jo and Eddie's relationship was so, not perfect, but pretty darn close. There was no instalove, but a love they didn't see coming working with each other.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys YA historical fiction or YA mysteries. I will definitely be reading more of her work in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment